Here’s the sequel post to my long weekend in San Francisco. I just want to share the obligatory tourist photos and maybe share a few tips and breakdown the best things to do in San Francisco.
My brain is currently is on overloaded from having to be back at work on this Monday, so this is mostly for your visual pleasure. I hope you find the tips useful, the photos pleasurable, and the words honest.
Best Things to Do in San Francisco
- Fisherman’s Wharf
- Pier 39
- City of San Francisco Itself
Tips for Visiting Alcatraz
- If you have time for only 1 thing, do this.
- Take the earliest ferry there. You can beat the crowd just by going 1 hour earlier. TRUST ME, it gets crowded. There’s a night tour too though, if you’re into that kind of creepy, look over your shoulder, ghost from Alcatraz past atmosphere.
- Once you are inside the prison, take off your guided tour headphones for just 5 minutes. Stand and listen to the eerie silence all around you.
- Buy your tickets online ahead of time! On the day of they are typically all sold out of tickets.
Tips for Visiting Pier 39
- Warning: tourist overload here! Do you have spare time and nothing else planned? Then go for it and visit Pier 39! To be honest, when I came to visite I was starving, on the brink of hangry, and in desperate need of a hot bowl of clam chowder. Pier 39 was a very short walk from where our Alcatraz ferry was docked, so I went for it but there isn’t much here beyond souvenir shops.
- A very “touristy” area. A little too much even for me. Shops are just filled with knick-knacks, the unavoidable San Francisco themed shot glasses, San Francisco themed mugs, San Francisco themed t-shirts. You get my drift.
- The best part of Pier 39 getting to see the sea lions get their “tan on”.
Tips for Visiting Chinatown, San Francisco
- Even if you don’t buy anything here you can walk around, browse at all the food stalls, stores, and just take in all of the décor and ambience that is Chinatown. I was able to see some very interesting herbs, fruits, and veggies that I had never seen before.
- Eat something while you are there. Dim Sum, noodles, soup, anything! You will regret it if you don’t.
Tips for Visiting the City of San Francisco
- If it’s a beautiful day, walk around! There are plenty of hills to climb and streets to explore.
- If you can, see different neighborhoods outside of your typical tourist center. You’ll get to see the true city of San Francisco if you venture out.
Wow, so this was a longer post than expected! The final part of my San Francisco adventures will be posted soon. I will finish with the other half of this “Top Things to Do in San Francisco” list.
Related San Francisco Posts
San Francisco Trilogy: Best Things to Eat in San Francisco
Travel Tips: San Francisco
2 thoughts on “San Francisco Trilogy: Best Things to Do in San Francisco | Part One”